My eyes close and the night fully envelopes my frame. The night I held at bay with tired smiles and suppressed giggles finally has won me over, nestled in foreign sheets. I close my eyes and welcome the silent night, my humble repose.
I wish the night was silent.
My thoughts are settling softly, slowly...
A train in the distance, its siren coaxes me to stay aware. The blare jolts my eyes back open ot a dark and unassuming ceiling.
It's not filled with stars.
It's white and empty, shrouded in shadows.
The train's whistle continues on its seemingly unending journey.
A screech of tires calls the attention of my ears to the window.
My eyes follow.
A laugh pierces the quiet.
I squirm to find a comfortable position to drift to sleep in.
No matter where I thrash too, the sounds follow, hollowing out the quiet, ruining the darkness.
I wake up. My head aches with unrest.
The world has kept me from sleeping.
A constant reminder.
Sleep provides no reprieve.
There is no escape.
There are no stars in the ceiling.
No comments:
Post a Comment