A Creative Writing portfolio (back from a brief hiatus in which I almost drowned in Heidegger)

Monday, March 11, 2013

Four Way Stop

It is 2 AM and the city shimmers 
The window pane is tear stained
A police car flashes its lights up the block
My back hurts 
The room is full of light that does not belong to me
I am too tired to write this down. 

I look across the city and feel alone.
I long to open my window as wide as it goes 
And reach out
All the way out
Until I feel the water on my face. 
       The wind calls my name 
       Just like everyone says it should 
I want to give in
And let it cradle me
To the sleep I have been avoiding 
To the sleep that won't come. 

The asphalt glistens purple 
The sole stop light flashes red

Stop. 
Then go

Stop

Please stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment