A Creative Writing portfolio (back from a brief hiatus in which I almost drowned in Heidegger)

Friday, October 15, 2010

Whim of an Instant

In honor of Blog Action Day (and Zoe of course), this is my poem concerning the North American mentality towards water. 

Swelling, crashing, flowing,
In a seemingly endless line
From drain to river to sea.
It is truly endless; why else 
Fall from the sky in torrential downpours
And sweep away the bad?
It is endless still with the turn 
Of a tap, flick of a switch,
The whim of an instant
Never appreciated in it's importance.

The line is being severed.
Not the line from ocean to house
Just all the ones in between.
Swoosh.
My bathtub is full, overflows when 
I sink my careless frame in,
Humiliating the trickling rivers,
Disgusting the impoverished, 
Delighting my soul.

Why would the glass be half empty,
When it is always full for me? 

1 comment:

  1. Wow Mariah, I think this is really good! (not because of the intro, but the actually writing :)

    ReplyDelete